A 92-year-old man has died following a horror blaze at his bungalow.
Firefighters were called to a fire on Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle, after binmen spotted smoke flames inside the house at around 1pm on Monday, December 18.
The elderly victim was taken to the Royal Blackburn Hospital after being rescued by firefighter but he died two days later.
The cause of the fire is still under a joint investigation but firefighters have established that the two smoke alarms fitted in the property were not working because the batteries had been removed
Off-duty policeman Aaron Wilson twice ran into the house to try to rescue the pensioner but could not get to him before firefighters arrived.
PC Wilson, 30, said he jumped into action after spotting the binmen shouting for help when they spotted flames in the bungalow.
PC Wilson, who works for Greater Manchester Police’s mounted unit, was at home looking after sons Sam and Owen, aged one and three.
He said he smashed his neighbour’s back door with a brick but was beaten back by smoke and fire. He said: “I shouted to the binmen that I was a cop before hurling the brick through the bottom glass door panel.”
The former St Christopher’s High School pupil added: “When the door opened slightly I can’t even tell you the amount of smoke that came out.
“I couldn’t see and couldn’t breathe and had to run out to catch my breath before going back in.”
Watch Manager at Accrington Fire Station Gary Hargreaves said the blaze is being investigated. He said: “It is looking like it was an accidental fire.”