Six ‘serious’ electrical fires have prompted fire chiefs to warn householders across Hyndburn.
Fire bosses said all but one of the fires over the past three months started in white goods applicances, such as a tumble dryers, dishwashers and washing machines, and ‘had the potential to seriously injure or even kill’.
In one incident a child was taken to hospital for a precautionary check.
Neil Mark, station manager for the Hyndburn district, warned there can be ‘dreadful consequences’ if ‘simple precautions’ are not taken.
He said: “The first is registering your purchase with the manufacturer so that they can get in touch with you with safety warnings and recalls. We can send out information and the media help, but there’s nothing quite like the personal approach.
“The second thing is follow instructions. Reading the instructions that comes with the appliances can be quite critical to safety.”
Tumble dryer fires were tackled on Thwaites Street in Oswaldtwistle on April 4, Paynter Close in Clayton-le-Moors on April 16 and Brecon Avenue in Oswaldtwistle on May 3.
Firefighters have also been called to an electric shower blaze on Collins Drive in Baxenden on April 9, an overheated washing machine on Chester Street in Accrington on April 15 and a dishwasher fire on Coniston Way in Rishton on June 27.
Station manager Mark said they advise people not to use their washing machines or dryers when they go out or go to bed.
He added: “The temptation is there, but you’re not going to be alert to things like smoke or be able to switch the machine off. These fires can be life-threatening.
“Anything with a heating element is always going to have the potential for fire.
"They have to be maintained and if they’re no longer serviceable, they need to be removed. Don’t take risks.
“Finally, we recommend that all residents have a working smoke alarm fitted in their home.
"Whilst smoke alarms can’t prevent fires, they do give an early warning to people in the house and those extra few minutes can be the difference between life and death.”
Research conducted by consumer group Which? showed tumble dryers were the second biggest causes of house fires behind washing machines.
Electrical Safety First said electrical fires cause 50 deaths each year and £41.6m of damage.